5 Books That Changed My Life & The Stories Behind Them – No Schedule Man Podcast, Ep. 27
Every once in a while, a book comes along and gives you exactly what you need to see precisely when you need to see it. That describes my recent experience with a book called “10% Happier” by Dan Harris. I can’t remember when or why I added to my list of books to read that I keep in my phone, but it was on that list (and in stock) when I was last at the library and so I took Harris’s book home and happily devoured it. The story and message of “10% Happier” hit me right between the eyes of how I’m viewing own journey at the moment.
Some books are like that. Their contents stick with you and become a permanent part of your experience, personality, and thought process from that point forward.
With that in mind, I decided to do a podcast on five books that have had that effect on me and to share my personal stories of why they’ve meant so much. My hope is that it will eventually help someone else, and possibly even save them from some of the personal challenges I’ve been through. Of course, we don’t all like the same things. These books may not be the right ones for you, and that’s okay. On the other hand, as you’ll hear in the podcast, I didn’t find out about all of these on my own. A former Sales Rep first told me about Gay Hendricks. A former colleague gave me “The Four Agreements.” And I first heard about “The Magic of Thinking Big” from someone I’ve looked up to who has since become a friend and has also been featured on an earlier episode of this podcast.
The five books & stories are:
- Conscious Living by Gay Hendricks and how it helped me through a divorce and the process of personal reinvention in the time since.
- Five Wishes by Gay Hendricks and how it helped me to see what I needed to be doing (or not doing) to be able to view my life as a success.
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz and how it helped me to see a lot of the traps I was setting for myself (making assumptions, taking things personally) and what to do about it.
- The Magic of Thinking Big by David. J Schwartz and what happened to me when I began to do everything it suggested.
- Tao Te Ching (Stephen Mitchell Translation) and how it began to transform my view of things like strength, power & peace of mind.
I also mention a couple of others that have helped me understand what my “Upper Limit Problems” are and how I can be making quantum leaps in my life from this point on.
For more books that have inspired me, please my Bookshelf page by clicking her ==> Kevin’s Bookshelf
Podcast Episode Links:
Comments? What Books Have Made a Difference For You?
By all means, please leave your comments with suggestions of the books or other inspirational material that has meant the most to you!
Stay Up-To-Date & Receive Exclusive Content as an Email VIP
Click Here ==> EMAIL VIP
Special thanks to Allstage for their support of the No Schedule Man podcast!